App-V 5.2 Client

Configurating App-V Client components

Moderators: kirk, jur, kkaminsk

raihne
Wanna Be AppVirtualizeR

App-V 5.2 Client

Post by raihne » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:02 am

Hey all,

Just sharing my recent experiences with App-V and Windows 10.

Earlier in the Windows 10 topics was announced App-V will be included by default in one of the new releases. Well seems like it's already here. In the new Windows 10 build 1607 a new App-V client version 5.2 is included.

When you have active SCCM deployments (or alternatives) they will no longer work. The new build will automaticly overwrite the latest version you have active (I think) for me this was 5.1 HF4. It will be patched probably with Windows Updates.

If you do not have an App-V installation active, it seems that it will not activate automaticly, but it is installed nonetheless. Unfortunately, it is not a windows component that you can activate (probably to prevent people from uninstalling). It seems the only way to activate is is through powershell. You'll get a few extra commands and two of them are "enable-appv" & "disable-appv". This will activate & deactivate the client.

extra info:
- You can easily get more command line with "get-command *appv*".
- If you want to check the version on the client, I think the registry is the only option under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client"

gts,
Dries

shandyboy
Still installing locally

Re: App-V 5.2 Client

Post by shandyboy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:50 am

Hi

What do you mean when you say "When you have active SCCM deployments (or alternatives) they will no longer work." Are you talking about the App-V client deployment from SCCM?

Tib
Guru

Post by Tib » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:38 am

I suppose he's talking about de deployment of the client.
Also keep in mind, the client is only available in the enterprise version.
Roy Essers | Tiberivs

seq_tim
Elder

Post by seq_tim » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:43 pm

If SCCM customers are deploying Win 10 1607, or thinking of doing so in the future, yes, they should be altering their existing global conditions used to install the App-V Client today.

The global condition check used in "requirements" typically look at if the OS is a client or server (to ensure the correct installer is used). An added condition should be made to check the OS version for 1607 or above (on the desktop side) and Server 2016 and above (for the RDS side). As noted, the in-the-box client is the Enterprise version only on 1607, but if you are using SCCM you probably don't have the Pro version out there.

The good news is that you can alter the conditions now as they won't hurt (assuming you don't screw it up) prior to worring about 1607 deployments.

As Raihne noted, the in-the-box client isn't a feature, so you can't turn it on like most features. You can enable using the powershell cmdlet "enable-appvclient" (and they added another one to disable and a third to check the enable status). Microsoft has stated that it also can be enabled via Group Policy, but haven't detailed how. The App-V ADMX hasn't been updated (as far as I know) , so possibly they meant GP scripting. Stay tuned.

Tim
tim (Microsoft MVP for App-V)
Kahuna, TMurgent Technologies: http://www.tmurgent.com
President, Virtualization Boston: http://www.virtg.com

Tib
Guru

Post by Tib » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Check out the following article on how to enable it during OSD: http://ccmexec.com/2016/09/enable-app-v ... s-10-1607/
Roy Essers | Tiberivs

Return to “Configuring App-V Client”