Designing an App-V environment;
Stand Alone(MSI), HWS, LWS, SCCM

Moderators: kirk, jur, kkaminsk

julzou
Still installing locally

Design of new App-V 5.0 architecture

Post by julzou » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:13 am

Hello All,

I am writing to ask you on a new architecture App-v 5.0 for one of my clients.

He has got a Citrix XenApp 6.5 farm with read only image (PVS) and a SCCM infrastructure has just been built. He does not want shared content cache because applications performance is the most important objective of the new architecture.

For my point of view, it would be a shame to not use SCCM with App-V 5.0. But I have some question about the design:
- where would you put the App-V Package Store ? In the Image or In the persistent disk ?
- is it possible to manage FTA at each logon by user with no delay when using SCCM ? (the shortcuts will be create by VUEM from Norskale)
- how to pre-cache all applications ? If I use download and execute, the first user will wait a long time before access to his apps, can I use precache by server and give access application by users ?

That's my three first questions.

I would be gratefull for any answers !

Regards.
Julien

kirk
Guru

Re: Design of new App-V 5.0 architecture

Post by kirk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:20 pm

That's not _that_ easy to answer, since all involved technologies have there pros and habits:

An approach woulr be to pre-load either all or at least the most commonly used App-V packages into the PVS Master Image. In fact it would slow down the image creation process and increase the image size. If not having 'most' packages in the Image, they had to be streamed down to a XenAppServer upon first launch - not good for user experience (esp. as users mive from one box to another).
If updates to packages occur, they would go into the difference disk of PVS.
During logon you could use SCCM / user targeting to create the shortcuts and/or you can use the UEM-Solution from Norskale for that. However App-V 5 is a little bit 'sensitive' about what to store and what not.
Falko

julzou
Still installing locally

Post by julzou » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks for your answer Kirk.

Do you think that an autologon user could be used in order to pre cache all applications in the persistent disk of the XenApp Servers ?

If yes, I can also make a local schedule task to pre cache application when a reboot is not schedule. What do you think about that ?

kirk
Guru

Post by kirk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Yes, that's possible:

You'd need to initiate a SCCM policy evaluation with a specifice user, so that all packages get registered (added) to the machine (this is a machine specific task). That user should be member of all groups that are assigne to SCCM App-V packages

Then, you can launch

Code: Select all

get-appvclientpackage -all | mount-appvclientpackage
This loads a list of all packages and passes it to the 'mount' command. That 'mount' will load all packages into the local App-V Client cache (C:\Programdata by default, but this can be redirected)
Falko

julzou
Still installing locally

Post by julzou » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:42 pm

thanks Kirk.

I will try this. I think I will use dynamic configuration files by user with SCCM tu manager application FTA.

Is it a good idea or not ?

Regards.

kirk
Guru

Post by kirk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:57 pm

There is no problem in general.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 012SP1.pdf has some more details on that
Falko

seq_tim
Elder

Post by seq_tim » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:27 am

Julzou,

Well I would take a different approach. The customer doesn't always know right!

SCCM is usually not chosen for a PVS scenario due to the time required to get everything delivered after a reboot. Yes possible, if you have a large environment and a regular, controlled, reboot maintenance program and can afford to wait an hour to let CM do it's thing before you bring the server back into rotation, but otherwise it is ugly.

App-V Server, third party tool, or simple post boot script with powershell to add packages globally (assuming only published app access is used) are waaaaaaaay better solutions.

As for Shared Content Store mode, I have been a critic in the past, but they fixed those issues. If the Citrix Server is itself virtualized and the caching disk is not local to the hardware (i.e. it is a virtual disk on a SAN), you are much better off with SCS. Same goes if PVS overflow ram is limited if you are thinking that the cache goes there.
tim (Microsoft MVP for App-V)
Kahuna, TMurgent Technologies: http://www.tmurgent.com
President, Virtualization Boston: http://www.virtg.com

jacklomberly
Still installing locally

Post by jacklomberly » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:01 pm

kirk wrote:
Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:09 pm
Yes, that's possible:

You'd need to initiate a SCCM policy evaluation with a specifice user, so that all packages get registered (added) to the machine los angeles (this is a machine specific task). That user should be member of all groups that are assigne to SCCM App-V packages

Then, you can launch

Code: Select all

get-appvclientpackage -all | mount-appvclientpackage
This loads a list of all packages and passes it to the 'mount' command. That 'mount' will load all packages into the local App-V Client cache (C:\Programdata by default, but this can be redirected)
Hi kirk, thank you for your reply, the primary question was very important in order to solve my issue! :shock:
thank you for posting in this thread

Return to “Design”