Updating the shared cache

Managing an App-V environment; Check-lists, Tips and Tricks, Best Practices, Videos, How to Guides

Moderators: kirk, jur, kkaminsk

quijote
Still installing locally

Updating the shared cache

Post by quijote » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:58 am

Background
Testing shared cache using 4.6 SP1 client in a Windows 2008 VDI environment using a netapp filer to host the shared cache. RTSP protocol to stream.

Requirements
We don't want to have to update the VDI master image every time a new application is cached.

Questions
We don't have ownership of the netapp filer so can't create symlinks on it. Would we need an intermediary windows server to point to the different cache file?

Initially I tried using group policy to modify the filename value of the shared cache thinking post reboot the client would use the new value(new cache file). However after monitoring via procmon, I can see the filename registry value is queried but it continues to use the older cache file. Not sure why this but expect it comes from something in the master vdi. Has anybody used this method successfully?

I know that if an app is not available in the shared cache, it cannot be launched but how about a modified osd file for a cached package? Can I make changes to an OSD which will be be picked up by the client without creating another cache file?

Thanks
Q

kirk
Guru

Re: Updating the shared cache

Post by kirk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi,

potentially, the App-V CLient reads the RegValue for the Shared Cache much earlier than the GPOs are applied - and if your VDIs are reverted to a clean state on each boot, the new filename value never would be actively used.

While a Windows Server "in between" might be one option, NetApp should have a similar featuer as well. I am not absolutely sure, but there "WideLink" sounds like a sort-of symlink to me:

http://www.wafl.co.uk/symlinktranslations/
https://communities.netapp.com/groups/c ... -widelinks
https://communities.netapp.com/thread/3752

Hm, read your post again.. perhaps you have to ask your NetApp Guys to do that for you - or indeed use a Windows Server in between

Tweaking OSD files would maybe work to launch another app from the same packackage, but probably not to "fool" the App-V Client to launch apps from another Pacakge. Also, it wouldn't help you, because an app can only be launched if portions of it are within the cache file - and because that's not the case (you still have your "old" Shared Cache file, right?), that won't work.
Falko

quijote
Still installing locally

Post by quijote » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Kirk.

I like the idea of the shared cache but unfortunately the fact that we have have to use symlinks may cause us an issue.
I will revisit it in App-V 5

kirk
Guru

Post by kirk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:17 am

Well, you don't need to use a SymLink, you could modify the path within the VDI Image as well so you'd need to update your base image every week or so :-\
Another option would be to use a DNS alias like \\currentserver\sharename\shared_sftfs.fsd and switch with "currentserver" between two shaes... not cool either.

If you're using Citrix, you may consider to have a look onto their Provisioning Services (PVS). You then could have an "ordinary" App-V cache file inside the PVS Master Image and use their "differencing disk" mechanism to load updates and new apps onto it.

In App-V 5, things might get easier, because you can pre-cache some data (itno the Master Image) while other data remains on the "Shared Content". Also you don't need the Management Server for this any longer (so its working with every kind of deployment).
Currently I haven't tried it, but I presume that the centrally shared content files still would have a write-lock while a client access them. However, that's not on a "whole cache", but rather on an "per-package" (.appv file) basis, so updates might be easier.
Falko

Return to “Managing”