Dynamic Configuration settings are not applying

Managing an App-V environment; Check-lists, Tips and Tricks, Best Practices, Videos, How to Guides

Moderators: kirk, jur, kkaminsk

DRB
Still installing locally

Dynamic Configuration settings are not applying

Post by DRB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Hey Everyone,

I have been having some problems with Dynamic Configuration files and I am hoping you might be able to help me.

The situation is I have an App-V 5 deployment of Google Chrome to be used on our Windows 7 and XenApp 6.5 environments. For Chrome to run as a Citrix published application it requires three command line switches added to the Chrome.exe executable. Normally I would add these in when publishing the application through XenApp AppCentre, but due the App-V 5's crazy naming conventions, the path for the executable exceeds 255 characters and causes an error on launch. As a workaround, Citrix recommends that you publish a script that launches the application. This works, but it means I need to deploy the script to each app server, which defeats the purpose of having the SCS. Instead I would like to utilise App-V 5's dynamic configuration files to add the command line switches but I am having issues with this not applying to the client.

We use the full App-V infrastructure and Chrome is currently published to an AD group containing the XenApp server computer objects. I do not wish to change the default configuration of the package as it will apply to the majority of user (Windows 7). Therefore I have copied the DeploymentConfig.xml and UserConfig.xml files and edited them with ACE to add the arguments to the Chrome short cuts. This where I run into my first oddity.

In the management console, I go to the Chrome application, AD access and set a custom configuration for the AD group. I then go to advanced, import and overwrite this configuration and try to load the amended DeploymentConfig.xml file. At this point it fails with an error message that the XML file is incorrectly created. However, if I overwrite the settings with the amended UserConfig.xml file it works and I can see the updated shortcut settings in the management console and a corresponding entry in the Event log on the management server saying the change has succeeded.

However, when I do a publishing refresh on the XenApp servers the amended settings are never applied.

I have tried removing and adding the application on the XenApp servers, as well as unpublishing and removing Chrome completely and adding it back in as a new package. Neither have worked. If I add and publish chrome directly to the a XenApp server through PowerShell using the -DynamicUserConfigurationPath option to specify the configuration file, everything works as I want it too and I can see the command line switches added to the Chrome.exe shortcut.

The first question is why will it only accept the UserConfig settings when the application is globally published to an AD group containing computer objects?

The second question is why aren't the settings being applied to the client when I can see them on the management server console?

Thanks,

DRB

Tib
Guru

Re: Dynamic Configuration settings are not applying

Post by Tib » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:40 pm

Deployment configs must be applied to the package and not to the ad-group. So select de package and click edit default.
Roy Essers | Tiberivs

DRB
Still installing locally

Post by DRB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:19 pm

That answers question 1. :D Thanks Tib.

Any ideas why the user config would not be coming through or is it not possible to apply those settings to a globally published package?

Hmmmm.... Actually I might be dong this the wrong way around. :?: Perhaps it would be better to apply the DeploymentConfig with the shortcut arguments to the package so it is picked up by the XenApp servers and apply a UserConfig without the shortcuts to the AD group for Windows 7 as it will be published to the user?

I will give that a go.

AlexSweserijnen
Accomplished Virtualizer

Post by AlexSweserijnen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:41 pm

Is the EnablePackageScripts option set to 1 (use Get-AppvClientConfiguration on one of the XenApp servers to check)?
If it is set to 0 (the default) you can't use scripts on the client.

DRB
Still installing locally

Post by DRB » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:56 am

I got it working but it did not actually help the situation with the XenApp publishing. The arguments were added to the shortcut as I wanted but when publishing the application your publishing Chrome.exe, not the shortcut, so the arguments do not carry through. It's back to using a script.

Thanks for the help everyone, it has been an invaluable learning experience.

Return to “Managing”