When does the package stream to the client?

Managing an App-V environment; Check-lists, Tips and Tricks, Best Practices, Videos, How to Guides

Moderators: kirk, jur, kkaminsk

Gazoo
Still installing locally

When does the package stream to the client?

Post by Gazoo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:07 pm

After a package is published, how long does it take until it begins streaming to the client? I had someone ask me this the other day and I have been unable to find a definite answer. Does streaming only happen at logon or is there a set time interval in which the client will periodically check the publishing server to see if anything new is available?

We have users who do not log off their machines for days, sometimes weeks. If a package was made available, would it just remain pending all that time until the user finally logged off and back on?

Gazoo
Still installing locally

Re: When does the package stream to the client?

Post by Gazoo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:41 pm

I think I finally found the answer myself. It looks like it can be done through Powershell using the Set-AppvPublishingServer cmdlet. There are settings for UserRefreshIntervalUnit (defaulted to DAYS) and UserRefreshInterval (default to 0). So based on that, it appears this particular client will only refresh at logon since the user refresh is 0 days. I've set it to 1 hour to see if that makes a difference.

Tib
Guru

Post by Tib » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:51 pm

You can indeed change these settings if you want to. There are also some GPO settings to configure this.
You can:
1) Global refresh on logon
2) User refresh on logon
3) Global refresh on x hours/days interval
4) User refresh on x hours/days interval
If you start the task-scheduler you can find tasks for these actions.

You can also create a custom script to perform a sync, like with powershell:

Code: Select all

Sync-AppvPublishingServer 1
Roy Essers | Tiberivs

kirk
Guru

Post by kirk » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:19 pm

The refersh intervall and sync don't necessarily stream/load/mount the package, but only donwload the so called FeatureBlock0.

The actual package's content gets downlaoded when either a user launches the application for the first time on a machine, of when the mount-appvclientpackage command is executed.

A user launch usually only triggers downloading of Feature Block 1 (however depending on a sequencing decision no, some or all files will be part of FB1)
http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualworld ... ation.aspx
http://virtualvibes.co.uk/feature-block ... ure-block/

However there is that 'AutoLoad' value in the Streaming key - *if* set to 1, it will tell the client to mount the know packages.
Falko

Return to “Managing”