Shortcut fails to be displayed when published via SCCM

SCCM and App-V related information

Moderators: kirk, jur, kkaminsk

shandyboy
Still installing locally

Shortcut fails to be displayed when published via SCCM

Post by shandyboy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:29 am

Hi,

I have an odd problem with an App-V 5 sp1 application I am trying to publish via SCCM.
Whilst SCCM says that the application has been published the shortcut doesn't appear. If I look in the SCCM app enforce log I can see that it has published one component. The application has 2 components but only one of them has a shortcut.

If I create a copy of the userconfig.xml and rename to 8935117f-b4e1-462f-8db4-231b582adf05_UserConfig.xml and place it in AppvTempData, then the command line SCCM is running in the App Enforce log the application displays the shortcut correctly.

Has anyone else come across something similar?

"Executing Command line: "C:\\Windows\\System32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\powershell.exe" -ExecutionPolicy Bypass import-module 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization\Client\AppvClient\AppvClient.psd1'; Publish-AppvClientPackage -PackageID 8935117f-b4e1-462f-8db4-231b582adf05 -VersionID cf87fd0f-4974-42a0-9b12-69551114c5b3 -DynamicUserConfigurationPath 'C:\WINDOWS\CCM\SystemTemp\AppVTempData\8935117f-b4e1-462f-8db4-231b582adf05_UserConfig.xml' -ev err; if(($err -ne $null) -and ($error[0].Exception.AppvWarningCode -eq 8589935887)) {$host.SetShouldExit(4736)} with user context

RAKI
Still installing locally

Re: Shortcut fails to be displayed when published via SCCM

Post by RAKI » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:48 am

I have seen similar with 2 shortcut having same ApplicationID, when we deployed through SCCM it published only one component (one shortcut). If I use the powershell command to manually add and publish then its I see 2 shortcuts.

shandyboy
Still installing locally

Post by shandyboy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:00 pm

OK - I've made some progress.
Both the user and the deployment xml have the shortcut enable and the shortcut is present in the manifest.xml.
SCCM only see one component on the publish tab of the deployment type properties, hence why it only publishes the one component and not both. So the question is now what do SCCM read in order to publish the components?

shandyboy
Still installing locally

Post by shandyboy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:59 pm

OK - I got to the bottom of my problem!!! In a nutshell SCCM can't handle two entry points of the same name.
The application I was sequencing had 4 entry point - 3 shortcuts, all with different names pointing to different exe's (two of which I didn't require) and the fourth entry point which didn't have a shortcut but contained ten or so FTA's. The fourth one pointed to a different exe to the one shortcut that I did want, had a different version but had the same name as the one with the shortcut.

The various tools I used troubleshooting the issue (Powershell, AppV_Manage, AppV commander, AppV Client UI) didn't have the issue with the two components sharing the same name. I didn't do the initial setup of the sequence in SCCM and therefore missed the fact that in the 'Deployment types' Publishing tab it only showed one entry.

Renaming the entry point fixed the problem. Hope this helps others

Return to “SCCM”