Virtualised package can't see its own install folder

Questions, comments, and suggestions for dealing with sequencing specific applications and Sequencer itself.

Moderators: kirk, jur, kkaminsk

fredbloggs
Still installing locally

Virtualised package can't see its own install folder

Post by fredbloggs » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:11 am

Hi,

I've followed the instructions in the AppV trial guide and sequenced and published XML notepad (and a few others).
These all appear to work fine as the application loads and functionally appear fine, however if I open a file browse window from within the client, i'm unable to see the installation folders.

Note, this is from within the virtualised application, I was expecting to see them there.

Is this to be expected with version 5 or am I going selectively blind?

kirk
Guru

Re: Virtualised package can't see its own install folder

Post by kirk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 pm

The good new that you aren't selectively blind, this is how it works. Apparently the root folder is somewhat hidden. However, you should see other files that are not within underneath AppvPackageRoot.

Do I like that? Not exactly!
Falko

fredbloggs
Still installing locally

Post by fredbloggs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 am

so if i configure the root folder as something else entirely and then install elsewhere it may become usable?

kirk
Guru

Post by kirk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:59 pm

visible <> usable

Though you can't see/browse it, files and folders are available. You just would have to specify the entire path to a file if you want to open it. :-\

Don't ask me for a comment on me liking that or not ;-)

PS: I suppose we talk about App-V 5 here... so I'm going to move that discussion into an approproiate section
Falko

fredbloggs
Still installing locally

Post by fredbloggs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:27 pm

visible <> usable.

hmm, by the software maybe, by the users without them having training, actually visible == usable.

The main piece of software i'm trying to virtualise requires the users to customize some components by browsing the file system from within the application to the location of the install path. If they can't see it they will just be hounding the helpdesk each time they need to do it.

So, in my opinion this is a big step backwards but I suppose I could just package using a fake virtual root much like we used a fake q drive and vfs on previous versions, was just hoping that it would be simpler than this :(

kirk
Guru

Post by kirk » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Agree: I don't like this 'hiding' either.

If you have a larger deployment, tell your situation to MS.They are very 'scenario driven', so the 'ignore' "we would like to browse for trouble shooting" but they listen to "we require browsing for use case XYZ" as a feature requets ...
Falko

packageologist
Guru

Post by packageologist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Whilst the folder is hidden, you can open it if you type the folder path into Explorer or any file browser dialog! Beware that if you don't install into the PVAD then users won't have write permissions to the install folder - not a problem for most modern apps but something to be aware of.

Also, VFS folders created on the root of C:, e.g. C:\Apps will be hidden in the same way as the PVAD.

Return to “Sequencing”