office app-v sequencing fails - error 1920

Questions, comments, and suggestions for dealing with sequencing specific applications and Sequencer itself.

Moderators: kirk, jur, kkaminsk

virtuallywarped
Still installing locally

office app-v sequencing fails - error 1920

Post by virtuallywarped » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 am

Hello,
I have been following all the guides I could find and was sent on here. I keep getting an error "1920" about half way through the install of office 2010 pro plus when I try to install it to create the sequence. The error is 1920 and states, unable to login to online services, verify you have permission to start a service. Tried using a few parameters for the virtualization kit install. I've reverted back to a new snap of ther server, it has app v 4.6 sp1, and its windows 7 ent x64.
office x86

vkleinerde
Accomplished Virtualizer

Re: office app-v sequencing fails - error 1920

Post by vkleinerde » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:17 am

Hi,

This Error 1920 comes up, when you using a different version of the Deployment kit than the installer is using.
Wich Version of the Deployment Kit do you use?

Keep in mind: x86 Software, sequenced on x64 System did not run on x86 Clients.

/vkleinerde

virtuallywarped
Still installing locally

Post by virtuallywarped » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks, I am a bit confused, I have a Windows 7 x64 system for the sequencer, I have installed the x64 version of app-v 4.6 sp1, and then I followed the MS instructions and downloaded the x64 version of the office 2010 office virtualization kit. I assume this is what you are referring to could be the problem? I am going to only deploy the x86 version of Office as we have found issues with the x64 version.

So I think I should be fine with the x64 version of the sequencer, then should it be the x86 version of the virtualization kit to match the office version? The ms instructions state to use the version that matches the OS...

aaronparker
Guru

Post by aaronparker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 pm

What happens if you sequence on x86 and then deploy to x64, using the appropriate Deployment Kit version for each OS?
Aaron Parker [App-V MVP, Citrix Technology Professional, AppSense Community Advisor]
View my App-V FAQ series here: http://stealthpuppy.com/appv-faqs/

virtuallywarped
Still installing locally

Post by virtuallywarped » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:21 am

I tried this:

1. Windows 7 Enterprise - patched up to date
2. 4.6app-v with sp1 sequencer installed
3. modified registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Sequencer\SxSAppExtensions. Double-click on the SxSAppExtensions value. In the Edit Multi-String dialog box, append the value VSL to the end of the list. Click OK to save the change.
4. Disabled Windows Defender service
5. No AV on system (I know it shouldn't matter).
6. No other apps installed on system, hyper-v vm - took snapshot before installing app-v 4.6 sp1 and making any changes, then took a snapshot after installing sequencer and making reg change.
7. Installed Office Virtualization kit, then ran this command (could this be the problem?)? I've tried running several different versions of the command, reverting to the clean snapshot each time. I've tried using the x64 and x86 version of the office virtualization kit.
NOTE: I tried the command for x86 as listed below and the x64 command as listed below, both with the x86 version of Office, the MS documentation states the kit version should match the OS version, but it looks like the office version also has to match the OS version - x86 or x64?
msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core PROPLUS=1
msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core,OSppWoW64 PROPLUS=1

8. My last attempt was to use the x64 sequencer, x64 virtualization kit, and x64 office, it appeared that the install went further along, however at the end I get the 1920 error and it's tied to a dll file along with the standard message, but I can't find the dll file in any search results from google, etc.. The file name is something such as mosdaic.dll (I am not in front of the screen now, but will update the post if the name is wrong).

9. I was going to try to run a more custom install of office and strip about everything but word and excel to see if that matters.

10. Is the command in step 7 a possible issue? I've tried many combinations found online and some I've put together.

aaronparker
Guru

Post by aaronparker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:04 am

The OffVirt.msi commands needs to be two separate commands - one for the proxies and a second for the licensing.

Proxies only exist for x86 Office - so regardless of your operating system architecture, you're probably going to want to stick with x86 Office 2010 for the user experience and compatibility with 3rd party applications and add-ins.

If you're sequencing x86 Office, I recommend sequencing on x86 Windows even if you're deploying to x64 Windows.
Aaron Parker [App-V MVP, Citrix Technology Professional, AppSense Community Advisor]
View my App-V FAQ series here: http://stealthpuppy.com/appv-faqs/

Return to “Sequencing”